Wednesday, 14 February 2007

Suitable Helper Found

Carmen and I just got engaged! :)
Here's how it happened (in brief - photos and other details to come when we have a bit more time):

Carmen took me out to dinner at Sushi Bar Hiro in Beverly Hills. It seemed like a fairly low key dinner - nice restaurant, but not too flashy; we weren't dressed up; and I didn't have big bunches of flowers or anything.

Towards the end of our meal when we were both stuffed, I went for "a toilet break". Whilst out of Carmen's hearing range, I called her parents and asked for permission to marry their daughter, which they calmly consented to. At the time, I was actually more nervous about asking them than I was about asking Carmen. But after they said yes, I began to get much more nervous about asking Carmen!

We finished dinner and drove back home. Now, instead of driving me home, I had to somehow get her to take us back to her house - because when we first decided to start going out we were outside her house, so I wanted to be there when I proposed. Besides, my house didn't really allow for the privacy I wanted.

So I made up some lame excuse about needing to get something from her place. At first she said she'd just bring it to me next time I saw her. But in the end I convinced her and she bought the excuse without raising any suspicion. Everything was still quite normal and nothing was out of the ordinary.

As we got out of the car at her place, I asked her, "Do you know how long we have been going out?"

"No..." she replied slowly, still not suspecting anything. Last year I surprised her with our 1,000 days anniversary - so me asking such a question isn't too strange.

"Well, today is the 3rd day of the 3rd week of the 3rd month of the 3rd year since we started going out." This was a nice coincidence that I happen to come across. "So after all this time, do you think you are ready to get married yet?"

Again, this wasn't too unusual. I had raised this topic of conversation before.

"Maaaaaybe," she teased.

"Well, perhaps I need to ask more seriously. But I don't have anything on me. But I do have my packet of cards." I pulled them out of my pocket. Now she was starting to get sussed.

I proceeded to do some magic and produced an Ace of Diamonds. I figured I needed a rose as well, so I produced a card with a picture of a rose on it! Then I spread the cards out and a big rose appeared across the length of the cards. Finally, I asked her to hold out her hands. I placed the cards on her hands, and when I lifted them up, the rose and the Ace of Diamonds became a real physical rose and diamond ring.

Then I got on one knee and asked her to marry me!

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! You're doing this really seriously! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" She went on for about 10 secs before eventually saying:

"Yes I would marry you!"

Praise God for creating marriage, and furthermore, creating this wonderful woman to be my helper.

"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."
               ~Proverbs 3:3 ~

(another reference to the number 3 :P )

34 comments:

Ed said...

Congratulations!!!!!
Jacky says: About Time!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ernie, as the first poster, congratulations!!!!

This is awesome news! Carmen is a very lucky girl (and vice versa).

alex said...

smooth moves bro, smooth moves..

I thank God for both of you!

Love heaps in Jesus,
alex

Andrew Hong said...

Have you got a date for the wedding yet?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - all the way from Singapore! Am glad to hear about this great news!! :) May Christ continue to be in the centre of your relationship, in the journey ahead. :)
love, linda (wee-wong) :O

Anonymous said...

Classic moves Ern - well done keeping the surprise for so long! Love the use of the cards!!
Gav

CC said...

Woooooo! About time!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!! :) Smmoooooooth!

Phil and Miriam said...

wow ernie- you're a great romantic. we're so thrilled for you both!your proposal sounded both spontaneous and planned all at once :) you know you are always welcome to turn the tables and make us do kitchen duty for you guys if you're needing helpers- way to go! love lots and many blessings in Jesus,
miriam and phil

Anonymous said...

waaahooooooooooo! =D

wow man thats so awesome! hahaa that just made my day, congrats!

=D

Jen said...

Congratulations!!!

What excellent news to hear!!!

Unknown said...

YAY!! FINALLY!!!! you have also made my day!!!

haha... oh... that explains the skin treatments!!! :P

Vron said...

awesome

;-)

Anonymous said...

Just another random passer by. Needed to comment to let you know I read this, and like others congradulate you and give you many best wishes!
Great work Ernest!

Shanen

Unknown said...

Congrats guys!!

Sounded very very sweet!!

- Mo & Shirley

char said...

awww congrats ! :D

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH Ernie! You did it! I'm so pleased for you! I highly reccommend marriage! Hey... you truly are MR ROMANTIC! What will you do 4 Valentine's Day next year?
Hugz from Tanya in Cambodia :)

Jay Chow said...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE! That's so cool.

Congrats guys!

Jo said...

Congrats to both of you!!!

You have to show us that trick!

Cheers
Jo Au

Anonymous said...

Congrates ... about time too..

Weslie

Anonymous said...

Awwww, so sweet and romantic! =)Congratulations dear Carmie + Ernie!!!

Luv Carol

Anonymous said...

congrats from hk!
and about time too =P
i'll call you tmr morning so u better be home!
lots of love,
happy =)

Eh? said...

Wow, it's like the season to get married.

Congratulations and may the Lord help the both of you with this new chapter in your lives :)

Princess J said...

... I could say.. FINALLY or ABOUT TIME or so much for the SMBC tradition... (Single Married By Christmas) .. but let me just end it with... DO I get 20% off this book?? *smile* haha can't wait to hear Carmen's story see you soon... oops.. CONGRATS - a bith and an engagement all on one day.. umm what will be next????

Anonymous said...

Aww, I like it very much...

That is seriously one awesome, romantic proposal.

Congratulations Carmen and Ernie!!!

Jaime :)

Anonymous said...

WOOOOW CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!
So happy to know this good news!!!!
Now dear Ernest, please teach me how to set up such a romantic atmosphere for proposing marriage. Later you have to teach me!
Really very happy!
I'm Dragon! Hehee!

Anonymous said...

Teach me your magic card tricks now!!
Im kevin btw.

Anonymous said...

woo hoo!!!

we can officially call you, "ernie and carmie" now. =D

ybic
tom

Anonymous said...

Attached is You Tube video of what happen ... well the rose card trick anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFoleTyxSfw

Wes

Ernest said...

Clever Wes!! How did you find it?

Actually, my trick has a number of modifications from the original. But the essence of the rose production is the same.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ernie & Carmen... your proposal is great - unique & so suited to your personality! :) So very excited for you! :)- very happy that Carmen said yes! :)

with love,
Regine

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the very very happy couple!

I am so happy to both of you.

Unknown said...

OMFG I can't believe it! little carmie is finally getting married I was hoping to flirt with her one last time before she becomes the chaste caring wife but alas...

What a wonderful, romantic way of proposing and I'm so happy for the both of you

Unknown said...

Congratulations Ernie and Carmie!

Am so very happy for the both of you and how amazingly sweet! Hope wedding planning runs smoothly for you and may you have babies soon for me to play with :D

Love,
Susan